Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Guava cake...and internet dating attempts!

I’ve been mentioning guavas all week long so I decided to include my favorite guava cake recipe in the blog today. Guavas are very tasty fruits and there really aren’t that many people who dare use them in a recipe. They taste great raw and believe me they're pretty darn good in this cake recipe. First the ingredients:



1 cup guava pulp (preferably fresh, but you can use the canned variety). I know it's tasty, but don't use the creamy seeds portion of the fruit.

1 ¾ cups granulated white sugar

¾ cup softened butter

3 egg yolks + 4 egg whites

½ cup guava nectar (if not available substitute with ½ cup of yogurt)

3 cups flour

¼ cup raisins (presoaked in rum)

1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

½ teaspoon ground ginger

½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

Cooking instructions:

Sift dry ingredients. Add first the sugar then the butter using a mixer. Next, add in the guava pulp, the nectar and the egg whites. Add in the yolks one at a time. Finally add the raisins and mix. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9 in. pan. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven.

The cake by itself is amazing. I occasionally top it with cool whip that has been mixed with an equal amount of guava pulp. I usually use the common guava (apple guava); however, the pink variety (strawberry guava, common in Hawaii) works just as well although the flavor is different.

Enjoy!

You can use guavas in savory recipes too. BBQed sirloin that has been marinated in equal parts guava pulp and white wine with some chilli flakes is simply heavenly! Wow, I've worked out quite an appetite simply writing this!



 Strawberry guavas




Apple guavas


-I have to compose an email now and send it to OKteChy22. I’m not sure what to write! You see, OKteChy22 has just responded to my let’s-go-out-on-a-date-stranger-I-met-over-the-net email. Lonely Boy gets flustered when things like this happen. I'll leave you with this cliffhanger; more on that email tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment